My Father’s Garden, September 14 & 15
Free presentation, movie and lunch!
Tse Daa K’aan Chapter House
Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 10:30 am to 2 pm
Movie starts at 11 am
Nenahnezad Chapter House
Thursday, September 15, 2016, 10:30 am to 2 pm
Movie starts at 11 am.
Come join us for lunch, a movie, and a discussion about sustainable agriculture with Fred Kirschenmann, one of the elders of the international sustainable agriculture movement. The movie, “My Father’s Garden” profiles two farms, and one of them is Fred’s farm in North Dakota.
The Stone Barns Center notes that Fred has been “for more than four decades, a champion of organic farming. His work has helped transform what was once obscure and marginal work…resilient, sustainable agriculture focused on the health and restoration of the soil…into an international movement.”
For more information, contact:
Capacity Builders, Inc. – Connie Falk, 505-330-5084
Fall Cover Crop Workshop and Field Demonstration, September 29
For small scale farmers this is a 6 hour event that will be a presentation on the benefits of planting fall cover crops and a field demonstration. We will be planting 6 types of cover crops into three acres of fallow field.
Over the next several months you will be able to see how different cover crops grow in the field and how they can be useful for:
- Increasing organic matter in the soil
- Suppressing weeds
- Improving soil tilth
- Preventing wind and runoff erosion
- Adding nitrogen to the soil
You will also learn the basics of “no-till” farming and see how to calibrate and use a “no-till drill”.
- This event is open to small scale farmers at no charge.
- Event is rain or shine.
- Lunch provided by Capacity Builders
- Farm implements are dangerous. Children under 18 MUST be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Wear appropriate clothing, the field may be muddy.
- Bring sunscreen, hat and water.
- All participants will receive a handout of useful information.