Navajo Youth Builders
Capacity Builders, Inc. and its core partner, the Navajo Nation Office of Youth Development, work together with schools, residential halls, chapter houses and native nonprofit organizations to inspire and enable teens to develop the skills and confidence they will need to lead successful lives, make healthy choices, and contribute to building strong communities.
A Brief History of the Navajo Youth Builders
- Developed by a group of Native Americans, bound together to address rates of teen pregnancy among Diné youth.
- Collaboratively chose the Wyman Teen Outreach Program®, TOP® as its evidence-based teen pregnancy intervention because of Wyman's unique approach to youth development and its limited focus on sexual behavioral health material. Wyman's Teen Outreach Program® reaches more than 20,000 teens in 30 states across the U.S.
- Funded with a Teen Pregnancy Prevention - Tier 1 grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - Office of Adolescent Health in 2010.
- Partnering with numerous youth-serving organizations and agencies across the Navajo Nation.
When Wyman's Teen Outreach Program® is implemented well, the results are:
- 52% lower risk of school suspension
- 60% lower risk of course failure
- 53% lower risk of pregnancy
- 60% lower risk of school dropout
What is the Teen Outreach Program®?
- Wyman's Teen Outreach Program® is a national program for teens whose effectiveness has been proven in 30 years of operation. Wyman's TOP® is currently being administered in over 400 organizations and schools in the United States, Virgin Islands and United Kingdom.
- Based upon the principles of youth development, and the socio-emotional well being and mental health of teens, Wyman's TOP® is an approach that provides teens with the necessary supports and opportunities to prepare for successful adulthood and avoid problem behavior.
- Wyman's TOP® has proven effective in increasing academic success and preventing teen pregnancy and other negative behaviors among program participants.
- An evidence-based program that engages teens in curriculum guided discussion and community service throughout the school year.
Curriculum Components - TOP® encompasses much more than Teen Pregnancy Prevention
These core components are emphasized in lesson plans and discussion.
- Communication and Assertiveness
- Adolescent Development and Sexual Health
- Community Service
Capacity Builders' Role
To bring resources into our communities and into the lives of Diné youth, and to support faithful replication of Wyman's Teen Outreach Program® at such a scale that youth and their communities are positively impacted by the program's proven outcomes.
Navajo Youth Builders Newsletters
Capacity Builders, Inc.
418 W. Broadway, Suite C
Farmington, NM 87401
Rachel Nawrocki: Lead Regional Coordinator
This publication was made possible by Grant Number 5 TP1AH00041-04-00 from the United States Department of Health and Human Services and the Office of Adolescent Health. Contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the Department of Health and Human Services or the Office of Adolescent Health.